October 2, 2012
TPC: 90% of Americans Face Average $3,500 Tax Increase From Fiscal Cliff; Rich Face Largest Increase
Tax Policy Center: Toppling Off the Fiscal Cliff: Whose Taxes Rise and How Much?:
The looming fiscal cliff threatens to boost taxes by more than $500 billion in 2013 when many temporary tax provisions are scheduled to expire. Nearly 90% of Americans would pay more tax, primarily because the temporary cut in Social Security taxes and many of the 2001/2003 tax cuts would expire. Low-income households would pay more due to expiration of tax credits in the 2009 stimulus. High-income households would be hit hard by higher tax rates on ordinary income, capital gains, and dividends and by the new health reform taxes. And marginal tax rates would rise, potentially affecting economic decisions.
- Associated Press, Huge Tax Increases Loom at Year-End 'Fiscal Cliff'
- Bloomberg, U.S. Households Face Tax Increase From 2013 Fiscal Cliff
- The Hill, Report: Nine in Ten Would Pay More Taxes After the "Fiscal Cliff"
- L.A. Times, 'Fiscal Cliff' Would Spike Taxes on Most Americans, Report Says
- New York Times, The Tax Side of the Fiscal Cliff
- Wall Street Journal, Study Shows Fiscal Cliff's Broad Tax Hit
- Washington Post, The Fiscal Cliff Is . . . Progressive?
- Washington Post, When You Think “Fiscal Cliff”, Think $3,446
October 2, 2012 | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference TPC: 90% of Americans Face Average $3,500 Tax Increase From Fiscal Cliff; Rich Face Largest Increase:
...and it still won't be enough to pay for government, much less pay down debt. However, it's past time people are forced to face the issue that spending is too high -- and if they want to keep it this high, then they'd better get used to the "new tax normal."
Posted by: ColoComment | Oct 2, 2012 4:32:38 PM
Interesting the media has adopted the phrase "fiscal cliff" when it should be "Democrat tax increases". It isn't Republicans who want the Bush tax cuts to expire. It wasn't Republicans who wanted ObamaCare.
Posted by: Ken Royall | Oct 2, 2012 9:47:37 PM