Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities: 10 Things You Need to Know About the Capital Gains Tax:
1. Capital gains tax rates are the lowest since the Great Depression.
4. Capital gains are highly concentrated at the top.
7. The capital gains tax preference is a major reason why the tax code violates the “Buffett rule.”
8. Tax preferences for capital gains are inequitable.
9. Tax preferences for capital gains are costly.
10. Raising capital gains rates would have little or no impact on most elderly households.