Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Improper payments of tax refunds have cost taxpayers over $100 billion in recent years. This hearing will explore a major source of the problem – identity thieves who steal Social Security numbers to engage in tax fraud. We need to make sure that we have a complete accounting of the size of the problem, understand why it is getting worse, and explore what can be done to combat tax fraud so we can catch and put more identity thieves in jail.
- J. Russell George (Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration)
- Patrick P. O’Carroll, Jr. (Inspector General, Social Security Administration)
- Steven T. Miller (Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, IRS)
- Nina E. Olson (National Taxpayer Advocate, IRS)
- David F. Black (General Counsel, Social Security Administration)