Thursday, April 19, 2012
New York Times, Room for Debate: Do Wealthy Colleges Deserve Their Tax Breaks?:
In a recent op-ed column, Richard Vedder of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity ... pondered the fairness of tax breaks for a wealthy university like Princeton, while a state institution like the College of New Jersey begs for funding. His comments raise a good question: Should government change its tax exemption policies for universities as a way of equalizing educational resources in America?
- Sandy Baum (George Washington University) & Michael McPherson (Spencer Foundation), Why the Wealthy Few?
- Anthony P. Carnevale (Georgetown University), Colleges Provide a Public Good
- Andrew J. Coulson (Cato Institute), Why Perpetuate a Bad Policy?
- Barbara Gitenstein (The College of New Jersey), It’s Not About the Tax Breaks
- Frederick M. Hess (American Enterprise Institute), Tax Deductions Have a Purpose
- Osamudia R. James (University of Miami), Let’s Fix Our Budget Priorities