Friday, April 20, 2012
Dean since 2007, Chen plans to take one year of administrative leave. He will retain his appointment as a member of the law faculty. "It's been the privilege of my professional life to serve as dean of the UofL law school," Chen said.
University Provost Shirley Willihnganz credited Chen with several key accomplishments, including converting the night school to a part-time program, establishing a legal clinic and improving fundraising. "Dean Chen has a strong legal background," Willihnganz said. "We hope he will agree to share his extensive knowledge of commerce and health law to help us move forward with key initiatives in other areas of the university."
Jim is a perceptive observer of legal education:
- Mission: Impossible? (Jan. 26, 2008)
- The Role of Collegiality in Faculty Hiring and Promotion (Feb. 16, 2009)
- A Dean's Lament: I Wish I Had Never Gone to Law School (Aug. 23, 2011)
- Legal Education and the Heir of Slytherin (Nov. 9, 2011)
- The Better Angels of Our Profession (Jan. 15, 2012)
Update: Above the Law