TaxProf Blog

Editor: Paul L. Caron
Pepperdine University School of Law

A Member of the Law Professor Blogs Network

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

National Jurist: The Truth About Employment for Law School Grads

The Truth About Employment, National Jurist, Feb. 2012, at 24:

On the one hand, critics point out that this is the worst job market in years and law schools mask the depth of the problem with inaccurate or misleading job data. On the other hand, some law schools point out that law has the lowest unemployment rate among professional professions and long-term career satisfaction.

So is it a horrible job market or a very stable profession? The answer, it seems, is 'yes' to both. ...

NJ

[T]he percentage of graduates who had employment for which bar passage was required dropped from 74.7% in 2008 to 68.4%. But many in legal education say this does not mean that the other 31.6% of law school graduates made a poor choice. "Law is a generalist education," said Susan Poser, dean at the University of Nebraska College of Law. "It teaches important critical thinking skills. All the ways you can be a lawyer is broader than what we've been able to articulate to the public. ... You are more likely to get a job now if you go to law school than get a Ph.D. in history, where you'd be in worse shape," she said. "It's tough, but still, a very good bet."

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2012/02/national.html

Legal Education | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4eab53ef016301ce2482970d

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference National Jurist: The Truth About Employment for Law School Grads:

Comments

I can't wait to read what Ellie Mystal and the rest of the anti-law school bloggers have to whine about on these stats.

Posted by: Publius Novus | Feb 23, 2012 7:49:09 AM

PhD's in History don't cost $75,000/year to obtain. Also, I don't buy 68.4% bar-required employment, given that American law schools are pumping out 45,000 law school grads annually and the BLS says not to expect more than 25,000 annual entry-level legal jobs before 2018.

Posted by: Long-Term Unemployed Attorney | Feb 23, 2012 11:02:00 AM

Is this supposed to paint an encouraging picture? First, this says nothing of increasing tuition. Second, this shows that 1/5 of law school graduates haven't been able to obtain employment as lawyers for the last decade. Third, this says nothing of the years 2008 to 2012.


Posted by: Fred Smith | Feb 23, 2012 6:10:44 PM