November 7, 2011
Principal, Wells Fargo Lose $100 Million Tax Shelter CasesDes Moines Register, Principal, Wells Fargo Lose High-Stakes Court Battles:
Two companies with strong ties to Des Moines have lost their fights to avoid paying more than $100 million in taxes to the federal government.
Principal Life Insurance and Wells Fargo were part of two separate but similar efforts to claim unearned tax credits through an elaborate series of cash transactions disguised as investments, a Des Moines Register review of thousands of pages of court transcripts, exhibits and other records shows.
- Principal Life Insurance Co. v. United States, No. 4.08-cv-00082 (S.D. Iowa Sept. 30, 2011)
- Des Moines Register, Ruling Costs Principal $21 Million
- Wells Fargo Corp. v. Unites States, No. 07-3320 (D. Minn. Sept. 30, 2011)
- Des Moines Register, Wells Fargo Loses $80 Million Case
- Tax Update Blog, IRS Defeats Principal, Wells-Fargo Tax Shelters
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Principal, Wells Fargo Lose $100 Million Tax Shelter Cases:
» Tax Update coverage: October 5. Des Moines Register coverage: November 6 from Roth & Company, P.C.
Des Moines Register, November 6, 2011: Principal, Wells Fargo lose high-stakes court battles Tax Update, October 5, 2011: IRS defeats... [Read More]
Tracked on Nov 7, 2011 1:40:47 PM