TaxProf Blog

Editor: Paul L. Caron
Pepperdine University School of Law

A Member of the Law Professor Blogs Network

Thursday, June 16, 2011

TIGTA: IRS Did Not Follow Law in 38% of Seizures of Taxpayer Property

TIGTA The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration yesterday released Fiscal Year 2011 Review of Compliance With Legal Guidelines When Conducting Seizures of Taxpayers’ Property (2011-30-049):

In conducting its statutory review, TIGTA reviewed a random sample of 50 of the 578 seizures conducted from July 1, 2009 through June 30, 2010, to determine whether the IRS is complying with all requirements and guidelines when conducting each seizure. In the majority of seizures, the IRS followed all guidelines, and TIGTA did not identify any instances in which the taxpayers were adversely affected. However, ... TIGTA identified 25 instances in which the IRS did not comply with a particular I.R.C. requirement, involving 19 of the 50 seizures reviewed.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2011/06/tigta.html

Gov't Reports, IRS News, Tax | Permalink

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c4eab53ef014e892f8108970d

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference TIGTA: IRS Did Not Follow Law in 38% of Seizures of Taxpayer Property:

Comments

Well duh. Laws are for us little people.

Posted by: TreeGuy | Jun 17, 2011 8:18:45 AM

Gotta like the, "In the majority of seizures, the IRS followed all guideline" bit. Since "majority" means 51% or more that leaves up to 49% of seizures being unlawful.

Imagine if someone wrote a report saying, "In the majority of criminal convictions, the defendants were actually guilty."

Posted by: Shannon Love | Jun 17, 2011 9:26:12 AM

It's really pretty strange that you'd expect them to follow some arcane regulations about conducting a seizure. After all, it is THEIR money, right? Do you think they'll eventually start seizures on kids for failure to broccoli?

Posted by: SenatorMark4 | Jun 17, 2011 10:22:09 AM

Well its not like they sent a SWAT team to collect on the debt, like say the Dept. of Education.

Posted by: wlpeak | Jun 17, 2011 3:04:15 PM

This is why I want to go to law school and specialize in constitutional and regulatory law. :-D

Posted by: John Fast | Jun 17, 2011 8:51:34 PM