April 18, 2011
Treasury & IRS Seek Public Comment on 2011-12 Guidance Priority ListThe Treasury Department and IRS on Friday issued an advance copy of Notice 2011-39, 2011-20 I.R.B. ___ (May 16, 2011), inviting public comment on recommendations for items that should be included on the 2011-12 Guidance Priority List:
The Treasury Department's Office of Tax Policy and the Service use the Guidance Priority List each year to identify and prioritize the tax issues that should be addressed through regulations, revenue rulings, revenue procedures, notices, and other published administrative guidance. The 2011-2012 Guidance Priority List will establish the guidance that the Treasury Department and the Service intend to issue from July 1, 2011, through June 30, 2012. The Treasury Department and the Service recognize the importance of public input to formulate a Guidance Priority List that focuses resources on guidance items that are most important to taxpayers and tax administration. Published guidance plays an important role in increasing voluntary compliance by helping to clarify ambiguous areas of the tax law. ...
In reviewing recommendations and selecting projects for inclusion on the 2011- 2012 Guidance Priority List, the Treasury Department and the Service will consider the following:
- Whether the recommended guidance resolves significant issues relevant to many taxpayers;
- Whether the recommended guidance promotes sound tax administration;
- Whether the recommended guidance can be drafted in a manner that will enable taxpayers to easily understand and apply the guidance;
- Whether the recommended guidance involves regulations that are outmoded, ineffective, insufficient, or excessively burdensome and that should be modified, streamlined, expanded, or repealed [new this year];
- Whether the Service can administer the recommended guidance on a uniform basis; and
- Whether the recommended guidance reduces controversy and lessens the burden on taxpayers or the Service.
Recommendations must be submitted by June 1, 2011 for possible inclusion on the original 2011-2012 Guidance Priority List.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treasury & IRS Seek Public Comment on 2011-12 Guidance Priority List: