Monday, February 21, 2011
Following up on last week's post, Law Prof May Lose Tenure For Classroom Hypos on Shooting His Dean: the National Association of Scholars has posted an interview with Lawrence Connell, the tenured law professor at Widener who is fighting to keep his job after students complained about his frequent class hypos about shooting the school’s African-American Dean Linda L. Ammons:
Q: Do you believe that Widener University is seeking to oust you because you are conservative?A: Yes. ...Q: Can you give me an example of a hypothetical you might have used in class, to which the students who complained might have been referring? Can you describe the context in which you would have used it?A: Yes, here is one: The Dean has threatened to fire me if she comes to school one more time and finds that I have parked in her designated parking space. Upset about the possibility of losing both my job and the parking space, I bring my .357 to school, get out of my car, put the .357 into my waistband, walk to the top floor where her office is located, open the door to her office, see her seated at her desk, draw my weapon, aim my weapon, and fire my weapon directly into what I believe to be her head. To my surprise, it’s not the Dean at all, but an ingeniously painted pumpkin - a pumpkin that has been intricately painted to look like the Dean. Dick Tracy rushes in and immediately wrestles me to the ground. I am charged with the attempted murder of the Dean.The hypothetical raises various issues about attempted crimes that might entail discussion that spans more than one class.
- ABA Journal, Law Prof’s Job on the Line for Using Hypotheticals Involving Dean’s Murder
- Althouse, Firing a Tenured Law Professor Because He Used the Dean's Name in Hypotheticals?
- Feminist Law Professors, Gender, Race and Power in the Legal Academy (Or, the BAU Haus Rules)
- InstaPundit, Widener Law School Update
- Jonathan Turley, Widener Law Professor Suspended For Using Dean In Hypotheticals
- Legal Insurrection, The Culture of Jumping To Conclusions At Widener Law School
- Leiter's Law School Reports, Law Prof Put on Leave Under Allegations of Racism and Sexism
- Volokh Conspiracy, Criminal Law Professor Suspended For Classroom Hypotheticals In Which Law School Dean is Murdered
- Volokh Conspiracy, Interview With Lawrence Connell, the Criminal Law Professor Suspended for His Hypotheticals