Sunday, December 26, 2010
Questions and answers on the new $10 million per couple federal estate tax break.
Wills, Trusts & Estates Prof Blog: Answers to Married Couples' Questions About New Estate Tax Law, by Gerry Beyer (Texas Tech):
- Does [portability] help me if my spouse died years ago?
- Does portability apply to lifetime gifts as well as assets that pass through an estate plan?
- Is portability automatic?
- Is the amount that's portable adjusted for inflation?
- Can I use my exemption instead to provide for children from a previous marriage?
- Is this a subject that should be covered in prenuptial agreements?
- Does portability also apply to the exemption from generation-skipping transfer tax?
- Do I still need a bypass trust?
- Is portability here to stay?