Wednesday, April 14, 2010
The American Enterprise Institute has released a 97-page report, Public Opinion on Taxes, 2010 -- "[t]he most comprehensive collection of polls ever compiled on the subject of taxes":
The 2010 Public Opinion Study on Taxes brings together up-to-date trends from major survey organizations and commentary on the tax burden, value for tax dollars, tax fairness, progressivity, taxes and the deficit, politicians' credibility on taxes, and finally, views of the Internal Revenue Service, and preparing taxes. The document includes a new section on President Barack Obama handling taxes and a new section on Obama, taxes, and the deficits.
Do you approve/disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling taxes?
- Mar. 2009: 62% approve, 37% disapprove
- Jan. 2010: 44% approve, 53% disapprove
Under the Obama administration do you think your taxes will go up or down, or do you think they will stay about the same?
- Jan. 2009: 35% go up, 13% go down, 50% stay the same
- Jan. 2010: 59% go up, 5% go down, 35% stay the same
- The Hill, Poll: Six in 10 Americans Expect Their Taxes Will Increase in the Next Year
- New York Times, Poll: Most Find Their Income Tax Fair