Monday, April 26, 2010
Web CPA, IRS Investigates Marco Rubio:
The IRS is reportedly investigating Florida senatorial candidate Marco Rubio’s use of a Republican Party credit card. ...
Rubio has been criticized in campaign ads for using his Republican Party American Express card to pay for personal expenses, including repairs to his family minivan, grocery bills, plane tickets for his wife, and retail purchases. Rubio blamed accounting errors and said he has reimbursed the party for over $16,000 in expenses. He reportedly racked up over $100,000 in expenses on the card while he was House Speaker, but he claimed most of the expenses were business related.
Any personal expenses that were not reimbursed by him would have to be claimed as personal income on his tax returns. The IRS is reportedly investigating his expenses, along with those of two other state party officials, according to the Miami Herald and the St. Petersburg Times.
- The Hill, Federal Authorities Launch Criminal Probe Into Florida GOP
- Jacksonville Observer, Uh Oh, Marco: IRS Investigating Rubio’s Tax Records
- Miami Herald, Feds Launch Inquiry Into Florida GOP Credit-Card Expenses
- Tax Lawyer's Blog, Florida Senate Candidate Marco Rubio Under IRS Scrutiny
- Washington Post, Feds Launch Probes of Florida GOP, Rubio's Credit Card Use