Tuesday, February 19, 2008
In Are Scholars Better Bloggers?, 84 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1025 (2006), my introduction to our symposium on Bloggership: How Blogs Are Transforming Legal Scholarship, I measured the performance of our participants and their blogs under these metrics:
- Citation Counts (p. 1029)
- SSRN Download Counts (p. 1030)
- Blog Traffic -- Visitors and Page Views (pp. 1031-32)
The following charts list the traffic statistics of the leading blogs edited by law professors. After looking at various methods of ranking blogs -- those that focus on traffic (e.g., Compete), often generated through a particular search engine (e.g., Alexa, Justia), and those that focus on links (e.g., Google Page Rank, Technorati, Truth Laid Bare) -- I decided to use the actual traffic statistics of those Law Prof Blogs with publicly available SiteMeters. Here are the Top 35 Law Prof Blogs by both visitors and page views for the most recent 12-month period (Feburary 2007 - January 2008):
Law Prof Blog Traffic Ranking -- Visitors (Feb. 2007 - Jan. 2008)
1. InstaPundit 70,748,231 2. Hugh Hewitt 13,392,343 3. Volokh Conspiracy 8,647,368 4. Althouse 4,429,672 5. Leiter Reports: Philosophy 1,629,699 6. Patently-O 1,532,860 7. TaxProf Blog 1,358,016 8. Balkinization 1,294,363 9. Concurring Opinions 1,125,512 10. Sentencing Law & Policy 907,141 11. Professor Bainbridge.com 856,240 12. Jack Bog's Blog 776,272 13. Leiter's Law School Reports 726,005 14. PrawfsBlawg 639,468 15. Discourse.net 451,091 16. White Collar Crime Prof Blog 383,443 17. Conglomerate 378,787 18. Opinio Juris 323,519 19. Workplace Prof Blog 298,525 20. Is That Legal? 242,119 21. Chicago Faculty Blog 235,028 22. CrimProf Blog 211,119 23. Wills, Trusts & Est. Prof Blog 202,324 24. Ideoblog 186,511 25. ImmigrationProf Blog 181,055 26. ContractsProf Blog 167,861 27. Empirical Legal Studies 148,157 28. Election Law Blog 127,488 29. Religion Clause 122,352 30. Legal History Blog 109,834 31. Family Law Prof Blog 108,608 32. MoneyLaw 100,298 33. Sex Crimes 89,459 34. Legal Profession Blog 88,811 35. Madisonian Theory 78,821
Law Prof Blog Traffic Ranking -- Page Views (Feb. 2007 - Jan. 2008)
1. InstaPundit 75,868,173 2. Hugh Hewitt 16,604,852 3. Volokh Conspiracy 12,403,944 4. Althouse 8,062,853 5. Patently-O 3,015,706 6. Leiter Reports: Philosophy 2,706,134 7. Jack Bog's Blog 1,974,956 8. Balkinization 1,961,379 9. TaxProf Blog 1,946,062 10. Concurring Opinions 1,751,358 11. Sentencing Law & Policy 1,666,960 12. Professor Bainbridge.com 1,209,228 13. PrawfsBlawg 1,079,328 14. Leiter's Law School Reports 1,057,960 15. Discourse.net 615,598 16. Conglomerate 569,339 17. Opinio Juris 557,642 18. White Collar Crime Prof Blog 512,520 19. Workplace Prof Blog 448,000 20. Chicago Faculty Blog 382,379 21. Is That Legal? 355,722 22. Wills, Trusts & Est. Prof Blog 298,280 23. ImmigrationProf Blog 270,566 24. Ideoblog 268,983 25. CrimProf Blog 246,824 26. Empirical Legal Studies 222,198 27. Election Law Blog 205,442 28. Religion Clause 188,766 29. Sex Crimes 163,491 30. ContractsProf Blog 160,461 31. Legal History Blog 158,708 32. Family Law Prof Blog 150,433 33. MoneyLaw 144,258 34. Legal Profession Blog 141,376 35. Truth on the Market 119,888
- These Law Prof Blog Rankings are drawn from Dan Solove's comprehensive Law Professor Blogger Census. They include all blogs edited by law professors -- both law-related and non law-related.
- Although I have tried to cull these Top 35 lists from the blogs that plausibly could generate enough traffic for inclusion, I may have inadvertently omitted qualifying blogs. Please email me the names of any Law Prof Blogs with traffic over the past twelve months that would qualify for inclusion on the lists (78,821 visitors and/or 119,888 page views). I will re-publish the lists to include all qualifying blogs.
- Several popular Law Prof Blogs do not have publicly available SIteMeters and thus are not included on the lists: e.g., BlackProf, California Appellate Reports, Credit Slips, The Deal Professor, Dorf on Law, Feminist Law Professors, Harvard Law School Corporate Governance Blog, Legal History, Legal Theory, Mirror of Justice, Point of Law, The Right Coast.
- The lists include only those Law Prof Blogs that have been in operation for at least a year (and thus do not include popular blogs such as The Faculty Lounge, Leiter's Legal Philosophy Blog, M&A Law Prof Blog, and Race to the Bottom.
- Several popular law blogs are not included on these lists because they are not edited by law professors: e.g., Above the Law, How Appealing, Law Librarian Blog, Wall Street Journal Law Blog.
- Two of the Top 10, five of the Top 20, and eleven of the Top 35 blogs are members of our Law Professor Blogs Network.
Update #1: For blogosphere commentary on these rankings, see:
- Above the Law
- Business Associations Blog
- Concurring Opinions I
- Concurring Opinions II
- Hugh Hewitt
- ImmigrationProf Blog
- Leiter's Law School Reports
- Mirror of Justice
- Race to the Bottom
Update #2: Since my original post, Legal History Blog has opened its SiteMeter to the public, and Mirror of Justice and Race to the Bottom have added a SiteMeter. Legal History Blog now makes the Top 30 list in both visitors and page views; Mirror of Justice and Race to the Bottom report that they too would have made the Top 30 lists using data tracked by another service. In addition, I inadvertently omitted Patenly-O (#6 visitors, #5 page views) and Sex Crimes (#33, #29) in my prior listing.