Monday, September 24, 2007
Whoops, Says Mayor, After Being Tagged as Tax Scofflaw, by Mike Dunn:
In the midst of a crackdown on Philadelphians who owe back property taxes, Mayor Street is red-faced after learning that he is among the scofflaws.
About three weeks ago Mayor Street announced an aggressive effort to reclaim one-third of the $700 million that the city is owed in back property taxes: "If the taxes are delinquent, you will have to pay."
A local newspaper did some digging and found that among those who owe money is John Franklin Street, our mayor. The Philadelphia Daily News found that he had not paid taxes on two of his four North Philadelphia properties since 2003, and owed $4,800.
(Hat Tip: Jim Maule.)
- Philadelphia Daily News:
- What Does It Take to Embarrass Detailed but Deadbeat Street?, by Stu Bykofsky
- Mayor Talks About Tax Snafu, by Mark McDonald
- Philadelphia Inquirer: Look Who Didn't Pay His Taxes, by Patrick Kerkstra
- Philadelphia Weekly: Mayor Can't Keep track of All His Wheelings & Dealings
- The Consumerist: Philadelphia Mayor Cracks Down on Tax Evaders, Finds Out He Is One