Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) and ranking Republican Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) sent a letter to President Bush today complaining that over 450,000 federal workers and retirees owe $3 billion in federal taxes. The Senators also released this tax delinquency data, showing that the largest percentages of federal employee/retiree tax deadbeats are in these departments and agencies:
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights: 9.4%
- Government Printing Office: 7.4%
- Smithsonian: 5.6%
- Courts: 5.5%
- Defense Department: 5.4%
- Selective Service: 5.4%
- EEOC: 5.3%
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.: 5.3%
- Federal Labor Relations Authority: 5.0%
- National Endowment for the Humanities: 5.0%
The Tax Court had 4.9% tax deadbeats, while the Treasury Department had one of the lowest percentages (1.3%).
Update: Jim Maule has more here.