Friday, March 30, 2007
Today is the deadline for submitting comments to The Panel on the Nonprofit Sector on its Second Draft of the Principles for Effective Practice of 29 principles, plus two staff-deafted principles, arranged in the following five categories:
- Facilitating Legal Compliance and Public Disclosure—responsibilities and practices, such as implementing conflict of interest and whistleblower policies, that will assist charitable organizations in complying with their legal obligations and providing information to the public.
- Effective Governance—policies and procedures a board of directors should implement to fulfill its oversight and governance responsibilities effectively.
- Strong Financial Oversight—policies and procedures an organization should follow to ensure wise stewardship of charitable resources.
- Responsible Fundraising—policies and procedures organizations that solicit funds from the public should follow to build donor support and confidence.
- Staff Drafts of Additional Principles regarding risk management practices and adoption of a code of ethics.
See here for all 31 revised draft principles in a single document. The Panel will issue its final recommendations in late Spring 2007.