Saturday, March 25, 2006
The Treasury Department and IRS have issued Notice 2006-36, inviting public comment on recommendations for items that should be included on the 2006-2007 Guidance Priority List:
Treasury's Office of Tax Policy and the Service use the Guidance Priority List each year to identify and prioritize the tax issues that should be addressed through regulations, revenue rulings, revenue procedures, notices, and other published administrative guidance. The 2006-2007 Guidance Priority List will establish the guidance that the Treasury Department and the Service intend to issue from July 1, 2006, through June 30, 2007. The Treasury Department and the Service recognize the importance of public input to formulate a Guidance Priority List that focuses resources on guidance items that are most important to taxpayers and tax administration....
In reviewing recommendations and selecting projects for inclusion on the 2006-2007 Guidance Priority List, the Treasury Department and the Service will consider the following:
- Whether the recommended guidance resolves significant issues relevant to many taxpayers
- Whether the recommended guidance promotes sound tax administration
- Whether the recommended guidance can be drafted in a manner that will enable taxpayers to easily understand and apply the guidance
- Whether the Service can administer the recommended guidance on a uniform basis
- Whether the recommended guidance reduces controversy and lessens the burden on taxpayers or the Service
Recommendations must be submitted by May 15, 2006 to be included in the original 2006-2007 Guidance Priority List.