Monday, January 30, 2006
We previously blogged (here and here) the news of the death of Edwin S. Cohen, Undersecretary of the Treasury in the Nixon Administration and longtime tax professor at Virginia, at age 91. The University of Virginia School of Law will hold a memorial celebration for Professor Cohen on Saturday, February 18 at 12:30 p.m.
The keynote speaker will be Michael Graetz (Yale), a former student and protege of Professor Cohen's, who will reflect on Cohen's career and professional life. Additional speakers include:
- John C. Jeffries, Jr. (Virginia's Dean)
- Mortimer Caplin (former IRS Commissioner and founding partner of Caplin & Drysdale (Washington, D.C.)
- Don Schapiro, Professor Cohen's former partner at Root Barrett (New York) and currently a partner at Chadbourne & Park (New York)
- F. David Lake, Jr. special assistant to Cohen at Treasury and currently Senior Counsel (and former partner-in-charge of the Tax Department) at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr (Washington, D.C.)
- Edwin C. Cohen, artist and former Managing Director at General Atlantic Partners (New York)