Saturday, March 25, 2017
Kristin Hickman (Minnesota) presented Restoring the Lost Anti-Injunction Act, 103 Va. L. Rev. __ (2017) (with Gerald Kerska (J.D. 2017, Minnesota)), yesterday at University of British Columbia Allard School of Law as part of its Tax Law and Policy Workshop Speaker Series:
Philip Hackney (LSU) delivered the Norman A. Sugarman Memorial Lecture in Nonprofit Law at Case Western yesterday on Improving IRS Charity Oversight: Responsible Congressional Delegation, Responsive IRS Rulemaking:
See Philip Hackney, Charitable Organization Oversight: Rules v. Standards, 13 Pitt. Tax Rev. 83 (2015).
Friday, March 24, 2017
This week, Joe Kristan (CPA & Shareholder, Roth & Company (Des Moines, Iowa); Editor, Tax Update Blog) discusses a recent Tax Court case denying a couple's claimed $18,000 charitable deduction for used clothing donated to their church.
- Axios, Wall Street Frets Over Fate of Corporate Tax Cut
- Bloomberg, Failure to Repeal Obamacare Would Endanger Tax-Cut Goals, Some in GOP Warn
- Bloomberg, U.S. Tax Change Proposals Are Fueling Corporate Bond Deals
- Bloomberg, With Tax Overhaul on Back Burner, Companies Embrace M&A Abroad
- ABA Journal, Can InfiLaw schools be had on the cheap, and would they be worth it?
- Ben Bratman (Pittsburgh), Legislation & Regulation and the Bar Exam
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), More On the 'Full Citizenship Project For All Law Faculty'
- Paul Caron (Pepperdine), University Of Idaho Law School Opens Second Location In Boise. Will It Be The Death Knell For Concordia Law School?
Following up on my previous posts (links below): Cincinnati Enquirer, UC Law School Dean Out For Now, Exploring Legal Options:
Lily Batchelder (NYU)
Accounting for Behavioral Considerations in Business Tax Reform: The Case of Expensing
Discussant: Steve Sheffrin (Tulane)
Daniel Hemel (Chicago)
The Federalist Safeguards of Progressive Taxation
Discussant: Lily Faulhaber (Georgetown)
Edward Adams, Howard E. Buhse Professor of Finance and Law at the University of Minnesota Law School, has been indicted for stealing $4.4 million from investors and paying $2.5 million to his own law firm.
- Department of Justice Press Release, University of Minnesota Law Professor Charged In Multi-Million Dollar Corporate Fraud Scheme
- Above the Law, Law Professor Arrested On Charges He Embezzled Millions
- CBS Minnesota, U Of M Law Professor Charged Swindling Over $4M From Investors
- Minnesota Daily, UMN Law Professor Allegedly Steals Millions From Investors
- Minnesota Star-Tribune, Full Disclosure: U Law Prof. Under Fire From Angry Investors
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Mildred Robinson (Virginia) presents Irreconcilable Differences?: State Income Tax Law in the Shadow of the Internal Revenue Code at Indiana-Bloomington today as part of its Tax Policy Colloquium Series hosted by Leandra Lederman:
- Jennifer Bard Named Dean at Cincinnati (Mar. 4, 2015)
- Cincinnati Law School Dean Under Fire From Faculty: Ouster, Vote Of No Confidence Discussed As Provost Unveils 6-Month Plan To 'Restore Mutual Trust And Respect' And Dean Lawyers Up (Mar. 20, 2017)
- Cincinnati Dean Says 'Small Cabal' Of Tenured Faculty Is Seeking Her Ouster Because Of Her Attempt To Balance Law School's Budget (Mar. 22, 2017)
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Diane Ring (Boston College) presents Leak-Driven Law, 65 UCLA L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2018) (with Shu-Yi Oei (Tulane; moving to Boston College)) at Boston College today as part of its Tax Policy Workshop Series:
Darien Shanske (UC-Davis) presents Equitable Apportionment and the State Corporate Income Tax: Past, Present and Possible Future at Duke today as part of its Tax Policy Workshop Series hosted by Lawrence Zelenak:
Cincinnati Dean Says 'Small Cabal' Of Tenured Faculty Is Seeking Her Ouster Because Of Her Attempt To Balance Law School's Budget
Following up on Monday's post, Cincinnati Law School Dean Under Fire From Faculty: Ouster, Vote Of No Confidence Discussed As Provost Unveils 6-Month Plan To 'Restore Mutual Trust And Respect' And Dean Lawyers Up: Cincinnati Business Courier, UC Law Dean Responds to Call For Her Ouster:
New York Times, Sorry, a Robot Is Not About to Replace Your Lawyer:
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
Following up on my previous posts (links below): National Law Journal, The 'Trump Bump' for Law Schools Is (Kind of) a Thing:
The Best And Worst States For Business: 90% Of The Top 10 Voted For Trump; 80% Of The Bottom 10 Voted For Clinton
The Georgetown O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law hosts a conference today on “Repeal and Replace” the Affordable Care Act: Understanding the House GOP Healthcare Reform Bill:
Panel 1: Taxes and Transfers:
- Lily Batchelder (NYU), Deficit, Distributional, Coverage, & Premium Effects of the AHCA
- John R. Brooks (Georgetown), Tax Credits and Redistribution Under the ACA and the AHCA
- Lilian Faulhaber (Georgetown), Taxes and Transfers Under the ACA
Edward Kleinbard (USC) presented The Economic and Social Consequences of Tax Reform last night at Loyola Marymount University College of Business Administration's Center for Accounting Ethics, Governance, and the Public Interest's Distinguished Speaker Series (flyer):
New York Times: Chief Justice Roberts Considers the Case of Tom Sawyer, by Adam Liptak:
Monday, March 20, 2017
Following up on last week's post, 'Full Citizenship Project For All Law Faculty' Launched To Correct Gender Disparities Among Law Profs:
Legal Skills Prof Blog: The Role of Legal Writing Professors in the Academy: A Reply to Professor Jason Yackee, by Scott Fruehwald:
Cincinnati Law School Dean Under Fire From Faculty: Ouster, Vote Of No Confidence Discussed As Provost Unveils 6-Month Plan To 'Restore Mutual Trust And Respect' And Dean Lawyers Up
Cincinnati Business Courier, University of Cincinnati Law Dean Under Fire From Faculty:
ABA Proposes To Eliminate Requirement That More Than 50% Of Law Teaching Be Performed By Full-Time Faculty
The IRS Scandal, Day 1411: Why Did Donald Trump Fire Sally Yates And Preet Bharara, But Not John Koskinen?
- This Week's Ten Most Popular TaxProf Blog Posts
- The BigLaw Massacre Approaches
- Republicans Keep Repeating the Same Tax Mistake
- University Of Idaho Law School Opens Second Location In Boise. Will It Be The Death Knell For Concordia Law School?
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1409: 'After School Satan Club' Granted Tax-Exempt Status In 10 Days While Conservative Groups Waited Years
- NY Times: Will Dropping The LSAT Requirement Create More Miserable Lawyers?
- University Of Houston Law School Spent $500k In Attorneys' Fees In Trademark Dispute With South Texas Law School; More Fees Are Coming With Houston Astros On Deck
- The Top 5 Tax Paper Downloads
- 25 Catholic Law School Deans Join ABA, 150 Law Firms In Opposing President Trump's Proposed Elimination Of The Legal Services Corp.
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1410: Judicial Watch Forces Disclosure Of New Documents
Sunday, March 19, 2017
Following up on my previous post, Harvard Is Second Law School To Admit 1Ls Based On GRE Rather Than LSAT: New York Times Sunday Review, Will Dropping the LSAT Requirement Create More Miserable Lawyers?:
University Of Houston Law School Spent $500k In Attorneys' Fees In Trademark Dispute With South Texas Law School; More Fees Are Coming With Houston Astros On Deck
Following up on last week's post, Settlement Finalized In University Of Houston And South Texas Houston Law Schools Trademark Dispute; Houston Astros Are On Deck: Houston Chronicle, What's in a Name? $500K in Legal Fees For UH Over Law School Dispute:
- [1,590 Downloads] The Known Unknowns of the Business Tax Reforms Proposed in the House Republican Blueprint, by Michael J. Graetz (Columbia)
- [525 Downloads] How Donald Trump can Keep His Campaign Promises, Grow the Economy, Cut Tax Rates, Repatriate Offshore Earnings, Reduce Income Inequality, Keep Jobs in the United States, and Reduce the Deficit, by David S. Miller (Proskauer, New York)
- [424 Downloads] Accounting for Behavioral Considerations in Business Tax Reform: The Case of Expensing, by Lily L. Batchelder (NYU)
- [346 Downloads] Predicting Stock Market Prices with Physical Laws, by Jack Manhire (Texas A&M)
- [253 Downloads] Important Developments in Federal Income Taxation, by Edward A. Morse (Creighton)
25 Catholic Law School Deans Join ABA, 150 Law Firms In Opposing President Trump's Proposed Elimination Of The Legal Services Corp.
National Law Journal, Legal Services Corp., Under Trump, Faces New Threat to Existence:
Saturday, March 18, 2017
- 2018 U.S. News Law School Peer Reputation Rankings (And Overall Rankings)
- Winners And Losers In The 2018 U.S. News Law School Rankings ... Should It Matter?
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1402: IRS Locates 7,000 Documents Related To Tea Party Targeting
- Law School Rankings By Student Quality (LSAT And UGPA)
- Provost Reassures Students That Rumors Of Louisville Law School's Closing Are False
- The IRS Scandal, Day 1408: Why Won't The Media Cover It?
- Florida Law School Rankings War Intensifies: UF Marches Toward Top 35, FSU Says It Is Best Law School In State And Aims For Top 4 National Public Law School (With Michigan, UC-Berkeley & Virginia)
- 2018 U.S News Law School Rankings: Average Student Debt
- 2018 U.S. News Tax Rankings
- Tax Is A Feminist Issue